Friday, January 23, 2009

Three ways of of using blogs in classroom!!!

When I was studying English from middle school to university, the term 'blog' didn't even exist. Now, blog and blogging is a kind of common word, especially for the young. I think the early stage of blogging was for sharing information and having cyber version of life for some people, now it is used as a tool for teaching and learning languages.

The first way of using blog is for teacher to share information, knowledge and even materials. Through blogging, teachers can make community so that they can communicate even from long distance. So teachers are able to gather real time information and live experiences from all over the country, even all over the world. Also teachers can ask for advice and give advice regarding teaching or learning. In that way, teacher can expand their knowledge and skills on teaching.

Secondly, I can use blog with my students. In my practicum class, the professor showed me how to use blog with his students for reading class. He has his own blog and he also had students create their blogs in order to share one another's blogs. He posted assignment on the blog so that the students can visit and see. In addition, he also can check their homework and students are able to see their classmates work. It makes the teacher's job easier because the teacher doesn't have to make all the copies to share in the whole class. So it enables the teacher to save energy so that saved time and energy can be used for more productive ways such as preparing more materials or giving more detailed feedback.

Lastly, the blog can be used to build better rapport between the teacher and students. As I learned from the last semester, the better relationship between the teacher and students, the better learning process can be happened in the classroom. Through blog, the teacher and students can share their personal lives, they can get to know each other more. Therefore it can be a tool to learn one another better.

I am sure that there is more than three ways of using blog in learning and teaching process, I am really looking forward to reading my classmates' opinions too.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with all your suggestions about using blogs in the classroom. I think this form of educational resource can be a huge asset to any grade level or content. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice,

    I agree with you about the way Dr Jurich used the blogs in the practicum class. How interesting! I will definitely file that one away for later use. I'm also very excited to share our ideas with teachers from all over the world.

    Do youhave any specific ideas on how to use the blog to build rapport with your students? It sounds interesting and I'd love to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice,
    In teaching EFL/ESL blogs can certainly be motivational because they provide a real audience for learners' ideas and their exploration of their new language.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete