Sunday, April 26, 2009

Podcast in my classroom



Right before I came to America, my friends gave me a ipod as a gift. Before that, I had not had any experiences to access podcasting. To use ipod, I searched how to download program and I could see emornous world of podcasting. Yet, that was just for me to enjoy podcasting world rather than thinking I could use for educational purpose.
I looked around many podcasting website and listened to samples. Then I found this website called PODBEAN.COM. They have many categories not only education, but also entertainment and religion, etc. One of the podcasting I like was Just Vocabulary. It introduces two vocabulary items at a time and explains definition and examples. However the words introduced are fairly difficult so it will be helpful for students to prepare TOEFL or GRE. What I like it about is that it doesn't teach many vocabulary at a time and it provides a various examples so students can notice the usage of the words. I think vocabulary is really important part in reading and listening for students, this podcast can help students to improve their vocabulary. Since the podcast is only for about five minutes I think I can play the podcast either at the beginning of the class or at the end of the class. In that way, students can learn two vocabulary every day.

1 comment:

  1. Alice,
    As you point out this type of podcast sounds very useful for TOEFL or GRE prep. Students could learn the two words a day either in class or outside of class on their iPods. If they listen outside of class, you could have some sort of adtivity related to the vocabulary in class each day or each week.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete